Please review our rules carefully as they contain very important information that will ensure a positive competition environment.
- Studios must send a deposit in the amount of $500 in order to secure a position in the competition prior to the entry fee deadline. Please note that deposits are non-refundable.
- Entries are accepted on a first come first served basis and are limited to the amount of time available. Book early to avoid disappointment! Registration deadline is December 31, of the current year.
- Entry fees must be paid in full prior to the competition start date. Any studio with outstanding fees one month prior to the competition start date will not be eligible to compete.
- Entry fees are payable by either cheque or money order and should be sent to the following address: MOVE Dance Productions Inc., 59 Portage Avenue, Toronto, ON M9N 3G8. Any returned or NSF cheques will be charged a $25.00 administration fee.
- Studios must enter a minimum of 20 (Twenty) entries to be eligible for the Finals.
- Novice and Pre-Competitive entries are not eligible to perform at the Finals, unless the registered studio solely has a Novice and/or Pre- Competitive entry in the FINALS categories and age division. MOVE reserves the right to disqualify or refuse entries at their discretion. Fees will be refunded accordingly.
- The same dancer(s) cannot compete more than once in the same age group and category in either Solo, Duet/Trio or group competition. This means dancers will never compete against themselves. Please move your entry up an age division or change discipline should this situation arise.
- Entries designated as Productions will not be eligible to compete in the Finals. Entries designated as Productions are eligible to win the Top Scoring Production Award at each competition location!
- Dance studios may enter as many entries as they wish, however no routine may be performed more than once (with the exception of Finals)
- Schedules will be sent to each studio prior to the competition date. No refunds will be issued once the final schedule has been produced. Changes to the program will not be permitted one month prior to the competition. MOVE shall not be held responsible for misprints, errors or omissions in the program. MOVE will make every effort possible to produce the best final program possible.
- There shall be absolutely no photography or videotaping allowed during performances. Any person found taking pictures or videotaping will be asked to leave by MOVE staff. Pictures and videos will be available for purchase on-site.
- Under certain circumstances, MOVE may need to increase, decrease or cancel days of the competition.
- All performers must be ready to perform one hour prior to the scheduled performance time. This rule will be strictly enforced in the event that the competition runs early.
- The judges’ decisions are considered final. Every effort has been made by MOVE to ensure a fair judging and scoring process.
- Once final schedules have been sent to confirmed studios, changes must be submitted within 48 hours. Any changes made after the allotted 48 hours are subject to $10 per change.
Categories & Ages
Novice – Mini (5-8) Junior (9-11) & Intermediate (12-14)
- A dancer in the novice category has never competed in a competition before.
- A dancer in the novice solo category cannot be over the age of 14 years and is performing a solo for the first time. They may have competed in a duet/trio or group/line/extended line categories in other years.
- A dancer in the novice duet/trio category cannot be over the age of 14 years and has not competed in solos, duet/trios in other years. They may have competed in group/line/extended line categories in other years.
- 75% of the dancers in a novice group or line must not have dances in solos, duet/trio or group/lines.
Pre-Competitive – Mini (5-8) Junior (9-11), Intermediate (12-14) & Senior (15 & up)
- A dancer in the pre-competitive category spends less than five hours per week in the dance studio.
- A dancer in the pre-competitive category cannot be entered in more than five (5) routines.
Competitive – Mini (5-8) Junior (9-11), Intermediate (12-14) & Senior (15 & up)
- A dancer in the competitive category spends five (5) hours or more per week in the dance studio.
- A dancer in the competitive category cannot compete in the novice or pre-competitive categories.
MINI/JUNIOR = 5 to 11 years
INTERMDEDIATE = 12 to 14 years
SENIOR = 15 years and up
- Proof of age must be provided should it be requested at the time of competition. Any requests for age not met will be disqualified from the competition with no refund.
- Average age is defined as the contestant’s age as at December 31, of the current year.
Duet / Trio: 2 or 3 Participants
Small Group: 4 to 9 Participants
Large Group: 10 to 15 Participants
Line: 16 or more participants
Extended Lines: Minimum 16 or more participants
Production: Minimum 15 participants
Time Limit Maximums
Solo/Duets/Trios: 2 minutes 45 seconds
Groups: 3 minutes
Lines: 3 minutes 30 seconds
Extended Lines: 5 minutes
Productions: 10 minutes (includes set up and take down)
Note: Please let MOVE know ahead of time if set up and take down of a prop exceeds 2 minutes.